Friday, March 30, 2012

In Good Company

A US man has bought an original Picasso print for just $13.50 at an Ohio op-shop. Zach Bodish spotted the framed poster advertising a 1958 exhibition of Picasso's work hiding behind some other artworks at the Volunteers of America store, local newspaper the Columbus Dispatch reports.

Thinking it was just a nice reproduction, he bought it and took it home, where he discovered a faint signature by the Spanish artist.

"I started shaking a little bit," Mr Bodish told the newspaper.

"I realised it wasn’t going to make me rich, but still, how often do you find a Picasso?"

In addition to the signature the poster was numbered 6/100 and had "original print, signed proof" written on it in French.

Experts have estimated the poster could be worth up to $11,500.



Recently my mum received an email from a chef in Melbourne asking if this painting was one of hers. Painted in 1969, this Kangaroo Point landscape was purchased from a Chapel St opshop. It seems she is in good company.

2 comments:

  1. Not sure who your Mum is Kris, but I do love that painting of hers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that painting too - such beautiful colours - plus, I used to live in Kangaroo Point! If I found that Picasso poster I would keep it. How fabulous that things like that are still possible.

    Sarah xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment, I'll make sure to visit you in return, have a lovely day x